Tuesday, January 13, 2015

#creatingchallenge day 13 / flexible focus

According to Edward M. Hallowell, author of "Driven to Distraction at Work: How to Focus and Be More Productivethere is a place between focus and flow called "flexible focus." I recently discovered Hallowell's work through the Fast Company article "10 Unconventional Ways to Find Your Optimal Level of Focus" posted on January 6, 2015. Here is an excerpt: 
"According to Csikszentmihalyi’s research, corroborated by many people I’ve interviewed as well as my own experience, in flow a person experiences life at its peak, its most joyful, its most intensely fulfilling. It is also the state in which people exceed their personal best, often achieving much better work than they’ve ever done before.
Short of flow, there is focus. We all know what focus is. It is the standard term for a concentrated, clear state of mind, focused on one target. Between focus and flow lies what I call "flexible focus." It differs from flow in that it’s not the high that flow is; it’s a way of tapping into some of the qualities of flow without being so absorbed that you can’t attend to anything else. In a state of flexible focus, you retain the ability to concentrate on a task, while at the same time remaining open to new input."
The article goes on to give 10 ways to increase your "flexible focus" throughout the day. Interestingly enough, these 10 ways may not be new ideas to many. They were not necessarily new ideas to me. 

BUT, which ones have I actually adopted? I have read and heard about enough brain science to be convinced that these suggestions could make a difference...but there seems to be a gap between the knowledge and the implementation for many of us, including me. 

One reason I think this is true for me is that when I'm in flow...I don't want to stop to take a break. I'm on a roll and lose track of time and want to leverage the energy and attention and focus that is present. 

On the other hand, I don't take a break when I'm stressed either. I keep trying to reason my way through a challenge and keep thinking that if I stick with it just a little while longer the answer will emerge. 

In both scenarios, it feels counter-intuitive to stop and take a breather. Its truly articles like this one and other resources that have helped me to choose to stop and refresh my brain and energy. The times when I do stop and take a break, breathe, stretch, drink some water, etc. my brain is much happier and my body feels better too. 

So my challenge this year is to take the knowledge of optimal focus and put it into practice. I'm starting with #3...time to take a break!

How about you? 

1 comment:

  1. Today I took a break and did my Morning Pages (see #creatingchallenge day 20). I had not done them first thing in the morning since I got up and went to exercise with my running buddy first thing...but I was committed to do them later in the day. Wow...what a relief to sit back and just write out what I'm thinking, what I'm stressed about, and what is concerning me today. There is something about doing this that helps me to get centered and move past worry and into a more creative and "can do" frame of mind.

    ReplyDelete